As expected, James Cameron’s Avatar has turned into a film phenomenon, sweeping away all its contemporaries and threatening to destroy all-time records.
By this week, the 3D sci-fi flick had racked up $1.62 billion in ticket sales, placing it way ahead of The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King ($1.12 billion) already and with plenty more to come.
That leaves Avatar second in the all-time list behind Cameron’s other epic effort, Titanic and the $220 million needed to overhaul the sinking-ship film doesnt look insurmountable on current form.
Whether Avatar can match Titanic’s legendary haul at the Oscars remains to be seen.
- Exes to come face to face again at the Oscars
- Razzies list is the usual mix of the bad and the really bad
- Waltz set to be a Global star
- Go easy on the robots, please
- Strong showing by our Mark
- Cameron cash in with Avatar bonanza
- Penn set to be a Stooge again
- Avatar review now online
- Happy “view” year, one and all
- KEEP QUIET… P-L-E-A-S-E